35th Georgia Infantry Regiment

Descendants Association


Soldier's Notes

John W. Smith served in Company E. Also in Company E were Abner Foster, John Foster, Moses R. Foster, James M. Childs, Daniel P. S. Childs, and James W. Silvey. These men were all brothers-in-law to John W. Smith. John Foster and Daniel Childs did not survive the war.

Henry Jacob Cwon's name was listed on the regimental muster roll with this spelling and that was the spelling also used when his widow applied for her pension. According to the family story, when he enlisted in the 35th Georgia, the recruiter asked him to spell his name. In response he said, "C-double o-n", which when spoken fast sounds like "Cwon". Sergeant Cwon was killed on March 25, 1865 south of Petersburg, across from the Federal Fort Fisher, approximately on the same site as Pamplin Historical Park. When word got back to his family, they kept the name Cwon out of respect for his memory. This is also the name that Henry Jacob's son, John Presley, used in recording the births of all his children in his family Bible. The name, Cwon, eventually became "Cown" around the turn of the 20th century, when there was a split between John Presley and his brother William.

James, Joel, and Thomas Bowman, Company I (Chattooga Mountaineers), participated in the Battle of Mechanicsville where James and Joel were wounded. James was transferred to the Quartermaster Corps due to his wound and Joel was discharged due to his wound. Thomas served with the 35th Georgia until he was taken prisoner in a hospital in Richmond in April, 1865. He was present for all engagements until his capture.

Private John Jefferson Moore, born in 1837, served in Company G, the Walton Sharp Shooters. According to family stories, he was a wagoner and shown on the regimental muster roll until February of 1865. He returned home in 1866 and brought with him a large piece of cain as evidence of being in Florida. John Jefferson Moore died in 1914 and was buried at Loganville, Georgia.

Sergeant Bluford T. Byrd, Company B (Bartow Avengers) was from Newton County, Georgia and enlisted on February 24, 1862. He was promoted to 4th sergeant on July 25, 1862 and wounded by gunshot on December 12, 1862 at the Battle of Fredericksburg. Sergeant Byrd was killed in action at the Battle of The Wilderness in May of 1864 and was buried at the Confederate Cemetery at Fredericksburg. Bluford and his six brothers all served the South in the War for Southern Independence. Five came home . . . Bluford and his brother Lee made the ultimate sacrifice.

Sergeant James Floyd Giles, Company G, was recruited out of Walnut Grove, Walton County, Georgia on the 16th of September 1861. He served in various battles up until he developed typhoid fever and was admitted to Chimborazo Hospital on May 2nd 1862. He died 18th of May 1862 and is probably buried at Oakwood Cemetery. His brother, Private Thomas Ogletree Giles also served in Company G and died in June of 1862.

2nd Lieutenant John William Milford, Company E, was killed at the Second Battle of Manassas in August of 1862.

Private Ezekiel Jacob Hays, Company A, enlisted August 15th, 1861 at Buchanan, Georgia and died of illness November 7th, 1861 in Richmond, Virginia.

Americus Miles Minor and his brother Marcus M. Minor both served as privates in Company F. Both were injured in the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House and Americus never returned to duty. Americus is buried in the Ocoee Cemetery. Marcus was still the regiment when General Robert E. Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox.

Three brothers, Privates John Warren Jackson, Noah Jackson, and Simeon Jackson, all in Company D, died during the war. John Warren and Noah were buried at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. Simeon's burial site is unknown.

George Diggs, who enlisted 12 Aug 1861 and passed away from measles on 13 Nov 1861, was married to Hulda Thomas Diggs. Her brothers Henderson Thomas and Joel Thomas also served in Company E.

Wilson Kilgore, Company A, enlisted on 8/15/61. He was promoted to 5th Sergeant on 4/2/62 and killed in action on 7/3/63 during Pickett's Charge. His brother, James Kilgore, enlisted in the 40th Georgia, died of disease in 1862 at a field hospital, and is buried in Oak Lawn.

2nd Lieutenant Nathaniel E. Ford was commissioned on the 30th of August, 1861 and was assigned to Company A. Two of his family memebers, Private William F. Ford and Private Jesse S. Ford (a fifer) served in the same company.

Benjamin Franklin Moody, Company E, was from Campbell County, Georgia. He was killed while serving as a Colors Corporal during the Battle of Beaver Dam Creek (Mechanicsville) on the afternoon of June 26, 1862.

Private William Henry Strickland, Company E (Campbell County Guards) was captured either on July 1st or July 2nd, 1863 at Gettysburg and spent the rest of the war as a prisoner of war at Fort Delaware.

Private Robert E. White, Company K (Harris Guards), Infantry joined the Confederate Army on August 14, 1861, at Hamilton, Harris County, Georgia and was captured at Hanover Junction, Virginia on May 24, 1864. As a Prisoner of War, he was sent from Point Lookout, Maryland to White House, Virginia on June 8, 1864. He was later transferred to Elmira Prison, New York, his arrival date being July 11, 1864. Private White was paroled at Elmira and sent to the James River in Virginia for prisoner-exchange. This exchange took place on February 20, 1865. Thereafter he returned to his home in Harris County, Georgia. He died in 1906 and is buried at his home-place.

Private William H. Butler, Company B, made it home to Walton County after contracting typhoid in Virginia. The 11th Georgia missed the first battle of Manassas because their train was delayed. They de-trained in the pouring rain with Union dead not buried among the fresh graves of the Confederates. After marching and drinking "water that looked like lye" he got sick and was discharged as disabled on August 10, 1861. He made it home in the latter part of August and died September 16, 1861 at his home in Walton County.

Private John Riley Smallwood, Company E, enlisted on 9 August 1862 and joined his company on 08 September 1862. A resident of Campbell County, he served thoughout the war and surrendered with his company on 9 April 1865 at Appomattox Court House, Virginia.

Private Richard D. B. Holt, Company F, was named on the Roll of Honor for his conspicious valor on the Battlefield at Chancellorsville.

Corporal Lemuel Garrett, Company E (the Campbell Volunteers) was captured at the Wilderness, Virginia on May 6, 1864 and paroled at Elmira, New York on October 11, 1864. He was received at Venus Point, Savannah, Georgia for exchange on November 1, 1864.

Corporal Masters Sparks, Company B, died of typhoid fever at Evansport, Virginia on February 23, 1862.

Private Woodson D. Moon of Walton County, Georgia joined Company G of the regiment. After the war, he named a son Albert Sidney Johnston Moon. Woodson Moon's descendants still live on the property that he farmed.

Private John Thomas King, Company K, a resident of Harris County, Georgia, enlisted in the Confederate Army on July 4th, 1861.

Private David M. Bailey, Company H, was wounded and captured by Union forces during the Battle of Gettysburg. He later died at Chester, Pennsylvania and was buried there on August 2, 1863.

Private William Marion Cook, Jr., Company H, was seriously wounded at Chancellorsville on May 3, 1863, lay on the field four days and was discovered as troops were removing the dead. He had sustained a serious wound to his lower jaw and had difficulty speaking and eating all of his life. He wore a full beard to cover the scars. It was assumed by some in the regiment that he was dead, because a letter written to him in 1901 by Andrew J. Webb (of Company G) revealed that Webb had been very pleasantly surprised to pass William on a train since he had believe that William had perished at Chancellorsville. Two of Willliam's brothers, Henry and David, also served in the Confederate Army. Apparently David died in combat in 1863. Henry was wounded while serving and sent home, surviving until 1897. Their names are inscribed on the CSA monument in downtown Athens. Willam attended Confederate Soldiers' reunions for many years, usually taking one of his children with him, on the condition that the child write a letter to their mother while there. William Marion Cook, Jr. was born in Clarke County, Georgia on 20 Jan 1844 and died in Washita County, Oklahoma on 30 Jan 1928. All accounts of him were filled with glowing apprbation, and all his children recounted many interesting stories about him.

Sergeant David Harrison Mobley enlisted on September 16, 1861 and served with Company G (the Walton Sharpshooters). He became Commissary Sergeant in 1864. He was a native of Social Circle, Georgia in Walton County and told his son few details of his time in service of the CSA, but did speak of the surrender at Appomattox. He heard General Lee tell the boys to go home to their families. He also said that he lost many friends in the war and that he was fortunate to make it home between those lost in the fighting or lost to illness.

Private Nathaniel Dallas Bays, Company D, was from Hogansville, Georgia, and enlisted for the period of the War. He was wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg with a gunshot behind the ear, and was in hospital in Richmond for a week. He was in several battles, ending up at Petersburg, Virginia where he was captured and sent to prison in Point Lookout, Maryland. He was released at the end of hostilities, returned to Hogansville, married Elizabeth Dennie, moved to Weldon, Louisiana in 1872, died in 1919, and is buried at Weldon cemetery.

First Sergeant Isaiah Hembree, Company E (Campbell Volunteers), was wounded at the Wilderness on May 6, 1864 and died of his wounds on May 8, 1864.

Private Reuben Ayres, Company A, from Buchanan, Haralson County, Georgia enlisted in Buchanan on July 12, 1861. He fought during the Peninsular Campaign and died in Richmond, Virginia on July 5, 1862, four days after the end of the Seven Days Battles. Reuben had three brothers (Private Hiram Ayres, Private Martin Ayres and Corporal William M. Ayres) who also served the South from Haralson County as members of Company K, 40th Georgia Infantry. Of the four brothers, only one (William M. Ayres) survived the war.

After resigning his position as a school teacher, William Wiley Baker enlisted with Company I (the Chattooga Mountaineers) on September 15, 1861 at "Dirttown Campground" in Chattooga County, Georgia. He trained at Camp McDonald near Big Shanty, Georgia, known as Kennesaw today. Wiley was considered a sharpshooter and posted on a picket line at Hawe's Shop, Virginia in June of 1864. While standing watch he was wounded in the right arm, possibly by a Federal sniper. He was then taken to Jackson Hospital in Richmond. His hospital admission and discharge record reads as follows: W. W. Baker, Pvt. Co. I, 35th Regt. Ga., Thomas' Brigade, Mini ball right arm. Admitted June 15, 1864. Furloughed July 14, 1864. Time furloughed 30 days. After his medical furlough, he rejoined his unit and served through the conclusion of the war. Wiley's father, Edmund Baker of Dirttown Valley, Chattooga County, Georgia, served as a sergeant in the 6th Battalion Cavalry, Company F of the Georgia State Guard. His three oldest sons all served in front line units of the Confederate Infantry. Two sons served in the 39th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Company H (the Chattooga Rangers) and were part of the Army of Tennessee. One of them, Elijah Baker, was not able to see the end. As many young men who had never ventured very far from home nor gathered in such huge numbers prior to the war, Elijah was struck down by disease and died of measles near Lenoir Station, Tennessee in November of 1862. The youngest of the three brothers, Gresham, was with him when he died. Gresham was granted a furlough to return his brother's remains for burial in Chattooga County. After the funeral Gresham returned to his unit in Tennessee. The following year the two remaining Baker brothers, although hundreds of miles apart, shared a particularly hard day. On July 4th, 1863, Wiley began that dejected march back toward Hagerstown, Maryland after the disastrous defeat at Gettysburg. On the very same day, after weeks of bombardment and near starvation, Gresham was taken prisoner after Pennsylvania Pemberton's surrender of the garrison of Vicksburg to Grant. He was paroled four days later. Gresham then returned home briefly before his company was reorganized and deployed at Missionary Ridge at Lookout Mountain, Tennessee. He remained with his unit all through Sherman's march into Georgia, the Atlanta Campaign, and with Hood's march back up into Tennessee. Gresham's unit was with Joe Johnston at Greensboro, North Carolina when Johnston surrendered to Sherman two weeks after Appomattox. Having survived the war the two brothers returned to Chattooga County and started families. Gresham lived out the rest of his life there and passed away in 1911. Wiley remained in Chattooga County until December of 1883 when, after losing his home to a house fire, moved his family to Florida near the town of Umatilla. He remained there the rest of his long life, passing away in 1920 at the age of 80. Elijah and Gresham are buried in the same cemetery in Chattooga County. Wiley is buried in Florida.

Private Amsi C. Van Pelt, Company I, enlisted on February 21,1862 and died at Richmond, Virginia on April 29, 1862.

Private Wiley C. Smith, Company B, was enlisted into the regiment on February 25, 1862 at Conyers, Georgia by Captain J. M. White and was paroled from Point Lookout, Maryland on June 30, 1865. He was shot in the chest at Gettysburg and captured as a POW twice.

Private Abner Jasper Camp, Company A, is buried in the Lynchburg, Virginia Old City Cemetery. He died on June 10, 1863 of a fever in Hospital No. 3 at Camp Gregg, Virginia. All the soldiers that died there were buried in this cemetery.

Private Willian Andrew Jackson Anderson, Company B, of Newton County enlisted on the 21st of September, 1861. He later spent time in a hospital at Richmond and then received a disability discharge in March of 1862.

Private William Bird, Company B, was wounded in left arm at Hanover Junction, Virginia on May 23, 1864 and admitted to Jackson Hospital at Richmond, Virginia on May 25, 1864. He was captured at Petersburg, Virginia on April 2,1865 and released from Point Lookout, Maryland on June 24, 1865. William Bird died at Oxford, Georgia on February 20, 1925 and buried at Byrd Cemetery, Newton County, Georgia. His brother was Sergeant Bluford T. Bird, also of Company B.

In July of 1861, Elias Puckett mounted his farm mule in Clay County, Indiana and rode to Hog Mountain, Gwinnett County, Georgia where he, along with his six Georgia relatives, enlisted in the regiment. Of the seven men, three survived and Elias was the only one present at Petersburg and Appomattox. Records indicate during that period, Corporal Elias Puckett, Company H, only had two furloughs.

Private Amsi Van Pelt, Company I (the Chattooga Mountaineers), died of disease at a camp of instruction.

Private William Harvie Andrew Davenport, Company C,1836-1862, died in hospital in Lynchburg VA, 31 December 1862 and is buried there. The three youngest sons of my of William Davenport of Campbell County, GA, all served in Company C of the 35th Georgia. None survived the War.

Private Samuel Shannon Davenport, Company C, 1841-1862, died in hospital & buried in Richmond VA, 6 Aug 1862, after being wounded 6/27/62 atGaines's Mill.

Private Charles Cosby Winans Davenport, Company C, 1844-1863, captured in action at Gettysburg on 03 July, 1863 and died 21 September 1863 in Fort Delaware prison camp.




The Remembrance Wall

At The National Museum Of The Civil War Soldier

Another Great Way To Honor The Memory Of Your American Soldier

click on this link




Return to 35th Georgia Home Page


Copyright 2009-2016. PetersburgBreakthrough.Org. Updated 10 August 2016