63rd Tennessee

Volunteer Infantry Regiment

Descendants Association


Soldier's Notes


Private Junius H. Smith, Co. C, of Hawkins County, Tennessee was captured at Petersburg on June 17, 1864 and sent to Point Lookout Prison. On July 23 1864, he was transferred to Elmira Prison, New York where he died on January 9, 1865.

Robert B. Orrick served as a private in Fain's regiment. He was wounded in the head at Chicamaugua. Following the battle at Beans station, he was reported as deserting by his commanding officer. It was later documented that he left because of illness. He joined a militia in Hawkins County Tennessee after his return and received a pension from the state of Tennessee.

Private Richard David Rigsby was shot in the head above the right eye at Chickamauga, and not only did he survive the wound, but fought the rest of the war, until being captured at Petersburg just before General Lee's surrender. He was taken to Point Lookout prison and released on oath in June of 1865. He died in 1925 and is buried in Fordtown Baptist Church Cemetery in Kingsport, Tennesse.

Private Robert Kurtz Staten, Company D, joined the regiment before it was organized in May 1862. Robert was in the battle of Chickamauga and made the advance against Snodgrass Hill. During the movement against Knoxville, he accidentally wounded himself while on guard duty and was sent to a hospital in Loudon. It was here, in December 1863, that he was captured. He spent the rest of the war imprisoned in Louisville, Kentucky, and then later in Rock Island, Illinois. He was exchanged in Richmond in March 1865, and sent home to Jonesborough, Tenn., and took the oath in April 1865.

1st Sergeant Elkana W. Bayless, Company I, was from Jonesborough, Washington County, Tennessee and served throughout the conflict. He was wounded at Drury's Bluff and was present at the surrender at Appomattox.

1st Sergeant Isaac Legg, Company H, enlisted in the 63rd Tennessee in 1862. In his pension application, he stated that he fought at the Battles of Chickamauga and Petersburg. He served in Company H under Captain Rulage at Drewry's Bluff and at Petersburg. He was captured at a bridge outside of Petersburg by a New Hampshire regiment on April 2, 1865. He died in 1916 after what seemed to be a difficult life due to the rheumatic fever he contracted during the war.

1st Lieutenant Henley Fugate, Company A, had his arm shot off by a shell during the Battle of Chickamaunga.

Private James Levi Killion, Company A, and four of his sons all enlisted at the same time. He died in a Union prison hospital on 13 May, 1865 of wounds he received, causing his capture. He is buried in Knoxville, Tennessee.





The Remembrance Wall

At The National Museum Of The Civil War Soldier

Another Great Way To Honor The Memory Of Your American Soldier

click on this link




Return to 63rd Tennessee Home Page


Copyright 2009-2014. PetersburgBreakthrough.Org. Updated 18 December 2014